SpaceWatch.Global is pleased to present: The Space Café Podcast #97: Building the perfect telescope: Giuseppe Racca and the Quest for the Dark Universe with ESA’s Euclid
Episode 097 features special guests: Giuseppe Racca
In this engaging episode of the Space Cafe Podcast, Markus converses with Giuseppe Racca, the key figure behind the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Euclid mission. As a seasoned expert with extensive experience at ESTEC, Racca provides deep insights into the mission’s goal to unravel the enigmatic forces of dark matter and dark energy. He discusses the challenges and triumphs of leading a major space exploration project and shares his passion for astrophysics and the pursuit of cosmic knowledge.
3 Memorable Quotes by Giuseppe Racca:
- “What is interesting in Euclid is that we have never been really sure that we could do it. Let’s say because it’s really at the very extreme of technology, whether you can achieve that. It’s basically a perfect telescope […] but this one has to be perfect because if it is not perfect, you cannot really achieve this performance”.
- “Exploring the universe’s dark side with Euclid opens a window to understanding its accelerating expansion and the role of dark matter and energy.”
- “Being at the forefront of a mission like Euclid is a journey of discovery, not just for science but for our understanding of existence itself.”
List of All Links or Names Shared:
- Giuseppe Racca
- ESA’s Euclid Mission (Euclid Mission Official Website)
- European Space Agency (ESA Official Website)
- L2 point
- James Webb Space Telescope (Webb Telescope Official Website)
- SpaceX Falcon 9 (SpaceX Official Website)
Choice of Music for the Spotify Playlist for the Aspiring Space Traveler:
- Giuseppe Racca’s choice: “White Rabbit” by Jefferson Airplane, reflecting his admiration for 70s prog rock and its metaphorical connection to the journey into the unknown cosmos.
🚀 Share your thoughts on this episode with your network on Twitter and Facebook.
The Space Cafe Podcast brings our signature brand of engaging and relevant content from across the global space economy to you via an exciting new format. Together with award-winning Executive Producer Markus Mooslechner (Terra Mater Factual Studios), our fortnightly podcast features guests that matter.
Thanks to our global distribution partner, BookWire, the podcast is available on all major podcast platforms.