EUSI_Banner 2021 April

Uganda’s Digital Divide Being Bridged By SES Networks

Credits: SES

SES’s Satellite Monitor study suggests that satellites are playing a critical role in bridging the digital divide in Africa, with SES providing 2.7 million Ugandans with satellite television.

The Satellite Monitor study, which was conducted for the first time in Uganda, is an annual market research study providing valuable market insights for industry players, as well as local producers, to further understand the broadcasting landscape and demonstrate the important role of satellite infrastructure.

The inaugural Ugandan study shows that SES reaches 2.7 million TV homes in Uganda, of which over 1.4 million are served directly by its satellite fleet, demonstrating that SES directly reaches 74% of all satellite TV homes in the country. In addition, more than 1.2 million Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) homes are fed indirectly by SES.

The study results also show a strong potential for growth for the broadcasting industry in Uganda: out of 8 million homes, 49% are equipped with TV reception, while the other 51% do not have access to TV yet. Out of the 4 million TV homes, 48% are reached by satellite and the rest are served by terrestrial networks.

Three African countries: Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia, were added to the SES study this year, joining Uganda and Ghana.

“Expanding the Satellite Monitor study to five African countries is yet another indication of our commitment to the region,” said Clint Brown, Vice President, Sales and Market Development for Africa, SES Video. “The study shows there is an open field for TV growth in Uganda, and our goal is to support the local industry players seizing those growth opportunities. With the advantage of reach, satellites are the ideal infrastructure for broadcasters to expand their audience in Uganda.”

SES has increased its reach to 30 million TV homes across Africa. Uganda, Ethiopia and Tanzania together account for 7 million homes. SES has seen strong growth in West Africa, with an increase from 3 million to 11 million homes in Nigeria, and from 2 million to 4 million homes in Ghana.

The Satellite Monitor study, commissioned by SES and carried out by various independent institutes, has been conducted for over 20 years in Europe and has been successfully replicated in Nigeria and Ghana. For the survey in Uganda, the first of its kind in the country, 4,000 interviews were conducted. The Satellite Monitor results for Tanzania will be announced on 7 June.

Check Also

Register Today For Our Space Café “33 minutes with Theresa Hitchens” On 20 April 2021

Join SpaceWatch.Global for an interesting and informative Space Café WebTalk featuring Theresa Hitchens, Space and Air Force reporter at Breaking Defense, Washington DC, USA.