Over bagels, croissants, coffee, and other treats, we discussed many legal issues arising from everyday space activities, including the following:
- What is space law really?
- How do we find the right balance between have specific laws for space and incorporating other principles from other areas to provide a governance system that actually works?
- What is the role of individual Governments and national space legislation in influencing a global governance system for space?
- Can we ever have harmonised national space law given the different factors for each space-aspiring country?
- What about industry and civil society – how can/should they be involved in providing inputs for the development of frameworks for future space activities?
- Would this serve the greater interests of humanity?
- And sooooo much more……
Setsuko and Peter also gave their ‘one word’ to describe the wonders of space/space law – a tradition for all guests at the Space Café Law Breakfasts. Space law certainly means many things to many people and is such an interesting and relevant concept, even to the non-lawyers in the audience.
We hope that you will enjoy this discussion and will already put in your diary to join in the next Space Café “Law Breakfast with Steven Freeland” on 25 November with two more fabulous guests, Joanne Wheeler and Michael Davis. There are so many more issues to discuss.
Please let us know if there is a particular event or issue that you want our expert panel to help to ‘demystify’.We really hope you will join us for breakfast! See you then!
This Space Café “Law Breakfast with Steven Freeland” was held on 23 September 2021.
Here the video: